6.4 Stopping my relapse
You can remember them easily with the HALT-acronym: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. Try to take care of yourself and your needs.
Identifying and minimizing the risk of relapse
Before you act, stop and ask yourself
Am I hungry?
- Eat something that raises your blood sugar levels.
- This can make you feel more emotionally balanced.
Am I angry?
- Why are you upset/annoyed?
- Try some rigorous exercise, this can help relieve anger.
- Try writing about what you feel angry about.
Do I feel lonely?
- Call a friend or family member.
- Try to talk to someone close to you about how you feel.
Am I tired?
- Take some time for yourself, rest, listen to calming music.
Each of these variables make us more likely to make poor decisions. If you answer “yes” to any of the options above, follow the suggestions to try to fix the situation immediately. This way you can make better choices and act in the way you want easier.